Welcome to our comprehensive review of the best .357 revolvers in 2023. As a gun enthusiast and expert, I am excited to bring you this detailed analysis of the top contenders in the world of .357 magnum revolvers.
The .357 Magnum has a rich history and has maintained its popularity among firearm enthusiasts for decades. Known for its power, versatility, and accuracy, the .357 Magnum caliber has become a top choice for both self-defense and recreational shooting.
In this review, we will delve into the factors that should be considered when buying a .357 revolver. Whether you are a seasoned shooter or a first-time buyer, understanding these factors will help you make an informed decision.
We will be closely examining four prominent .357 revolvers: the Smith & Wesson Model 686, Ruger GP100 .357 Mag, Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum, and the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum. Each revolver will be thoroughly evaluated and their pros and cons will be discussed, highlighting their unique features and performance.
Furthermore, we will also take a critical look at the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver, a lesser-known contender in the market. Through an unbiased review, we will uncover its strengths and weaknesses, allowing potential buyers to have a comprehensive understanding of this revolver.
To aid you in your decision-making process, we will conclude with a comparative analysis of the top .357 revolvers, showcasing their individual strengths and suitability for various scenarios.
Whether you are looking for a home-defense weapon, a reliable companion for outdoor adventures, or simply an addition to your firearms collection, our review will provide you with valuable insights and guidance.
So, without further ado, let’s embark on this journey of exploring the best .357 revolvers in 2023 and find the perfect match for your needs and preferences.”
Brief history of the .357 Magnum
The .357 Magnum holds a significant place in the realm of firearms, earning a reputation that precedes it. Developed in the early 1930s, this iconic cartridge was born out of an era that demanded more power and superior ballistic performance. To fully appreciate the .357 Magnum, one must delve into its historical roots and understand its impact on the world of handguns.
Elmer Keith, a renowned American firearms enthusiast and experimenter, played a pivotal role in the creation of the .357 Magnum. Keith was an advocate for higher velocities and increased bullet energy, believing that these factors would enhance the stopping power of a handgun. Dissatisfied with the available options at the time, he teamed up with the legendary Smith & Wesson to develop a cartridge that would push the boundaries of handgun capability.
Introduced to the public in 1935, the .357 Magnum instantly captured the attention of gun enthusiasts. It was an immediate success, offering unprecedented power and versatility. The cartridge’s design incorporated a longer case and increased powder capacity, allowing for higher velocities and greater energy transfer upon impact. This innovation propelled the .357 Magnum to the forefront of handgun performance, solidifying its place in firearms history.
From law enforcement agencies seeking reliable stopping power to avid hunters in pursuit of medium-sized game, the .357 Magnum became a popular choice across various disciplines. Its ability to deliver significant energy while maintaining manageable recoil made it a favorite among both new and experienced shooters alike. The introduction of the .357 Magnum also ushered in a new era of handgun craftsmanship as manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Ruger, produced exceptional revolvers designed specifically for this powerhouse cartridge.
Over the years, the .357 Magnum has evolved and expanded its reach. It has been chambered in a wide range of revolvers, from compact carry options to large-frame hunting firearms. Even with the advent of more potent cartridges, the .357 Magnum has proven its timelessness. Its versatility, reliability, and formidable performance have granted it a special place in the hearts of firearms enthusiasts around the world.
As we venture into the year 2023, the .357 Magnum continues to be a sought-after caliber, appreciated for its historical significance and unparalleled performance. Its enduring popularity stems not only from its vital role in shaping the world of handguns but also from its ability to deliver reliable results in various scenarios. Whether for self-defense, hunting, or range fun, the .357 Magnum remains a steadfast choice for those who value power, precision, and the rich heritage behind this iconic caliber.
Why the .357 Magnum is a popular choice
The .357 Magnum has long been revered as one of the most popular choices among firearms enthusiasts, and with good reason. This iconic cartridge, first introduced by Smith & Wesson in 1934, has continually held its place as a top contender in the world of revolvers.
One of the primary reasons for the .357 Magnum’s enduring popularity lies in its versatile and powerful performance. With its higher pressure and increased powder capacity compared to its predecessor, the .38 Special, the .357 Magnum delivers a substantial increase in velocity, energy, and stopping power. Whether for self-defense, hunting, or recreational shooting, these attributes make the .357 Magnum a formidable choice for a wide range of applications.
Another factor that sets the .357 Magnum apart is its ability to chamber both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammunition. This versatility allows shooters to choose between a more potent load for maximum effectiveness or a milder .38 Special load for reduced recoil and increased control. This dual-purpose capability has made the .357 Magnum a favorite among law enforcement officers, as it provides them with flexibility in various scenarios.
Furthermore, the .357 Magnum offers superb accuracy, making it a preferred choice for competitive shooting. Its inherent precision is attributed to its relatively long case, which provides the bullet with a longer bearing surface for increased stability and enhanced flight characteristics. This ensures that shooters can consistently achieve tight groupings and accurate shots, even at extended distances.
In addition to its performance attributes, the .357 Magnum enjoys wide availability and support in the firearms industry. Ammunition for the .357 Magnum is widely produced, ranging from defensive rounds to target loads, catering to the diverse needs of shooters. Furthermore, a plethora of revolver models chambered in .357 Magnum are available from renowned manufacturers, offering shooters ample options in terms of design, features, and price range.
It is worth mentioning that the .357 Magnum’s popularity extends beyond practical considerations. It carries with it a rich history and a certain allure that appeals to gun enthusiasts. Its association with law enforcement, the silver screen, and legendary firearms aesthetics further elevate its desirability and make it an iconic symbol of American firearm heritage.
In conclusion, the .357 Magnum’s enduring popularity can be attributed to its versatile performance, capability to chamber both .357 Magnum and .38 Special, exceptional accuracy, widespread availability of ammunition, and its historic and cultural significance. All these factors combined make the .357 Magnum a top choice for those seeking a reliable and powerful revolver.
Factors to consider when buying a .357 revolver
When it comes to purchasing a .357 revolver, there are several important factors that every gun enthusiast should consider. While the title and reputation of a firearm are undoubtedly crucial, it’s essential to dig deeper and evaluate various aspects that can greatly impact your shooting experience. From build quality and ergonomics to reliability and customization options, here are the key factors to keep in mind when choosing the perfect .357 revolver.
1. Revolver Size and Weight:
The size and weight of a .357 revolver significantly affect its versatility and ease of use. Consider the intended purpose of your firearm, whether it be self-defense, concealed carry, or recreational shooting. Revolvers with larger frames offer increased stability and recoil management, making them suitable for target shooting and home defense. On the other hand, compact and lightweight revolvers excel in concealed carry situations, providing enhanced maneuverability and comfort.
2. Barrel Length:
The barrel length of a .357 revolver can impact accuracy, maneuverability, and ease of concealment. Longer barrels often provide better sight radius and increased muzzle velocity, resulting in improved accuracy and terminal ballistics. However, they may be less desirable for concealed carry due to their size and potential discomfort. Shorter barrels, on the other hand, excel in close-quarters self-defense scenarios and are typically more easily concealed.
3. Action Type:
The action type of a revolver refers to how the cylinder rotates and the trigger functions. There are primarily two common action types found in .357 revolvers: single-action and double-action. Single-action revolvers require manually cocking the hammer before each shot, providing a lighter and more precise trigger pull. Double-action revolvers allow for both cocking the hammer manually and firing with a heavier trigger pull. Consider your preference for ease of use, speed, and accuracy when deciding between these action types.
4. Capacity and Reload Speed:
The capacity of a .357 revolver refers to the number of rounds it can hold before needing to be reloaded. Consider your specific requirements and the trade-off between firepower and portability. Additionally, evaluate the revolver’s reload speed, as some models offer faster and more reliable reloading mechanisms, such as speed loaders and moon clips.
5. Build Quality and Durability:
A reliable and durable firearm is a must for any gun enthusiast. Look for a .357 revolver made from high-quality materials, such as stainless steel or alloy frames, that can withstand the demands of regular shooting. A well-built revolver will not only provide longevity but also ensure consistent performance, even under challenging conditions.
6. Aftermarket Support and Customization:
Consider the availability of aftermarket parts and accessories for your chosen .357 revolver. This will allow you to personalize and optimize your firearm according to your preferences. Whether it’s upgrading sights, grips, or trigger components, a revolver with ample aftermarket support offers endless possibilities for customization and improvement.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision when purchasing a .357 revolver that suits your specific needs and preferences. Remember to prioritize reliability, ergonomics, and personal shooting requirements to ensure a satisfying shooting experience.
Smith & Wesson Model 686: A detailed review
The Smith & Wesson Model 686 is undoubtedly one of the most iconic revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum. Renowned for its exceptional craftsmanship and robust design, this revolver has consistently remained a favorite among firearm enthusiasts year after year.
Designed with both performance and aesthetics in mind, the Model 686 boasts a stainless steel construction that not only ensures durability but also gives it a sleek and modern appearance. Its L-frame design strikes a perfect balance between size and weight, making it comfortable to handle and shoot.
One of the standout features of the Model 686 is its exceptional accuracy. Equipped with a six-shot cylinder, this revolver offers a smooth and consistent trigger pull, allowing for precise shots with every pull of the trigger. The 4-inch barrel length further enhances its accuracy, making it an ideal choice for target shooting and self-defense purposes.
Additionally, the Model 686 incorporates several innovative features that enhance its performance. The adjustable rear sight and red ramp front sight provide shooters with excellent sight picture and quick target acquisition. The rubberized grip, known as the “Combat” grip, offers superior ergonomics, minimizing recoil and ensuring a stable hold during rapid fire.
In terms of safety, the Model 686 features a robust internal lock system, offering peace of mind to those who prioritize safe firearm storage. The double-action/single-action (DA/SA) trigger system allows for both rapid follow-up shots and precise single-action shots, making it versatile for various shooting scenarios.
Maintenance is straightforward with the Model 686. Its stainless steel construction makes it resistant to corrosion, and its hinged yoke design enables easy disassembly for cleaning and maintenance purposes. Whether you are a seasoned shooter or a beginner, the Model 686’s user-friendly design is sure to impress.
When it comes to .357 Magnum revolvers, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 undoubtedly stands out for its exceptional performance, reliability, and iconic design. Its accuracy, versatility, and attention to detail make it a top choice for both enthusiasts and professionals alike. So, if you are in the market for a .357 revolver that offers the perfect blend of power and precision, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 should be at the top of your list.
Pros and cons of the Smith & Wesson Model 686
When it comes to .357 revolvers, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 is undoubtedly one of the finest offerings available in the market. Renowned for its exceptional craftsmanship and reliability, this revolver has managed to capture the hearts of gun enthusiasts across the globe. In this section, we will delve into the pros and cons of the Smith & Wesson Model 686, providing you with a comprehensive insight into its features and performance.
1. Accuracy: The Smith & Wesson Model 686 is known for its remarkable accuracy, enabling shooters to consistently hit their target. Whether you are engaging in competitive shooting or defending yourself, this revolver’s precision will instill confidence in your shooting abilities.
2. Durability: Crafted with the utmost attention to detail, the Model 686 boasts exceptional durability. Built from high-quality materials, it can withstand rigorous use without compromising its performance. This revolver is designed to last, making it a reliable companion for years to come.
3. Versatility: With a 6-round cylinder, the Model 686 offers versatility in ammunition choices. It can accommodate both .357 Magnum and .38 Special rounds, providing shooters with the option to use different loads depending on their specific requirements.
4. Ergonomics: The Smith & Wesson Model 686 features an ergonomic design that enhances comfort and control during shooting. Its rubberized grips ensure a secure hold, reducing recoil and improving overall handling.
1. Size and Weight: One factor to consider when choosing the Smith & Wesson Model 686 is its size and weight. With a 4-inch barrel and a solid build, this revolver may be bulkier and heavier compared to some of its counterparts. While this can be advantageous for recoil control, it may not be the ideal choice for those seeking a compact and lightweight option.
2. Concealability: Due to its larger size, the Model 686 may pose challenges when it comes to concealability. It may not be the most practical choice for concealed carry purposes, especially for individuals looking for a more discreet option.
3. Price: As with any top-quality firearm, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 comes with a higher price tag compared to some other .357 revolvers on the market. While its exceptional performance justifies the cost for many enthusiasts, it may not be the most budget-friendly option for those on a tight budget.
In conclusion, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 stands as a testament to the brand’s commitment to excellence. Its accuracy, durability, versatility, and ergonomic design make it a standout choice for both seasoned shooters and newcomers to the world of .357 revolvers. However, its size and weight, limited concealability, and higher price point may factor into the decision-making process. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preferences and intended use.
Ruger GP100 .357 Mag: A comprehensive analysis
When it comes to reliable and powerful .357 revolvers, the Ruger GP100 is a name that stands out. Built with precision and durability in mind, this revolver has earned the trust and admiration of gun enthusiasts and experts alike. In this comprehensive analysis, we will delve into the features, performance, and overall impression of the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag.
Design and Build:
The Ruger GP100 boasts a robust frame and solid construction, making it a formidable choice for both self-defense and recreational shooting. With a stainless steel frame and barrel, this revolver exhibits excellent corrosion resistance, ensuring its longevity even in adverse conditions. The GP100 also features a comfortable rubber grip that enhances control and mitigates recoil, allowing for accurate and consistent shooting.
At the heart of the Ruger GP100 lies its chambering for .357 Magnum, a cartridge renowned for its exceptional stopping power. This revolver delivers impressive performance with each shot, offering superior muzzle velocity and energy transfer. Whether you’re using .357 Magnum or .38 Special loads, the GP100 handles them with ease, providing a smooth shooting experience.
Accuracy and Recoil Management:
One of the standout qualities of the Ruger GP100 is its exceptional accuracy. The revolver’s barrel is precisely rifled, promoting consistent bullet spin and trajectory. Coupled with the revolver’s solid construction and ergonomic grip, shooters can expect tight groupings and enhanced target acquisition. Furthermore, the GP100’s weight and design effectively manage recoil, making it comfortable to shoot for extended periods without sacrificing accuracy.
Versatility and Customization:
The Ruger GP100 offers versatility in ammunition choices while maintaining its reliable performance. With its robust build, this revolver can handle a wide range of .357 Magnum loads, allowing shooters to tailor their ammunition to suit specific needs. Additionally, the GP100’s design accommodates various accessories and modifications, providing opportunities for customization and personalization according to individual preferences.
Durability and Reliability:
Ruger has long been synonymous with durability and reliability, and the GP100 upholds this reputation. The revolver’s solid construction, high-quality components, and meticulous craftsmanship ensure consistent performance and minimal maintenance requirements. Whether for self-defense, target shooting, or even competitive shooting, the GP100 is built to withstand the test of time.
In conclusion, the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag stands as a true contender in the world of .357 revolvers. Its robust design, exceptional performance, and versatility make it a reliable companion for any shooting endeavor. Whether you’re a seasoned enthusiast or a beginner looking for a dependable firearm, the Ruger GP100 is sure to impress. Invest in this revolver, and you’ll find yourself equipped with a powerful and enduring firearm that will never let you down.
Pros and cons of the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag
As we continue our journey through the world of .357 revolvers, it’s time to turn our focus towards the renowned Ruger GP100. This robust and reliable firearm has earned its place among the top contenders in the realm of .357 Magnum revolvers. In this section, we will delve into the pros and cons of this powerful handgun, allowing you to make an informed decision when considering your next purchase.
Let’s kick things off with the advantages offered by the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag. First and foremost, this revolver boasts exceptional durability and ruggedness. Built with a solid stainless steel frame, the GP100 is designed to withstand heavy-duty use and withstand the test of time. Its robust construction ensures that it can handle the potent .357 Magnum caliber without compromising its reliability.
Another standout feature of the Ruger GP100 is its impressive capacity. With a standard cylinder that can hold six rounds, this revolver offers ample firepower when it matters most. Whether you are using it for self-defense, target shooting, or even competition, having six shots at your disposal can give you a significant advantage.
The Ruger GP100 also stands out for its comfortable shooting experience. The cushioned rubber grip absorbs recoil and minimizes discomfort, allowing for more extended shooting sessions without fatigue. This aspect is particularly important for those who value comfort and enjoy spending hours at the range honing their skills.
Furthermore, the GP100’s accuracy should not be overlooked. Equipped with a solid barrel and adjustable sights, this revolver enables shooters to achieve precise and consistent shots. Whether you are a seasoned enthusiast or a novice looking to improve your marksmanship, the GP100’s accuracy will undoubtedly impress.
While the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag presents numerous advantages, it’s essential to consider certain drawbacks before making a purchase. One aspect that some users might find less appealing is its weight. As a result of its solid construction and robust materials, the GP100 can feel hefty in hand, which may impact its suitability for everyday carry.
Additionally, the size of the GP100 could be a deterrent for some individuals seeking a more compact firearm. Although its size contributes to its reliability and accuracy, it may not be the most suitable choice for those searching for a smaller, more easily concealable option.
In conclusion, the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag is a formidable contender within the world of .357 revolvers. Its durability, impressive capacity, comfortable shooting experience, and remarkable accuracy all make it a sought-after choice for firearm enthusiasts. However, potential buyers should consider the weight and size of the GP100 to ensure it aligns with their specific needs and preferences.
Now that we have explored the pros and cons of the Ruger GP100, it’s time to turn our attention to another notable .357 revolver: the Smith & Wesson Model 60. Join us in the next section as we dive into an in-depth examination of this exceptional firearm.
Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum: In-depth examination
When it comes to compact and reliable firearms, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum stands out as a true classic. Renowned for its exceptional performance, this revolver has earned a stellar reputation among gun enthusiasts and law enforcement professionals alike. In this in-depth examination, we will delve into the key features, performance, and overall quality that make the Smith & Wesson Model 60 a top contender in the world of .357 revolvers.
One of the standout features of the Smith & Wesson Model 60 is its compact size, making it ideal for concealed carry or as a backup weapon. Its sleek and lightweight design allows for easy maneuverability and comfortable handling, ensuring that you can rely on it in critical situations. The stainless steel construction adds durability and resilience to the firearm while maintaining an attractive appearance.
Chambered in the powerful .357 Magnum caliber, this revolver delivers impressive stopping power. It offers the versatility to shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammunition, providing you with a wide range of options based on your preferences and needs. Whether you’re looking for a reliable self-defense weapon or a companion for recreational shooting, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 has got you covered.
The Model 60 boasts exceptional accuracy and a smooth trigger pull, which allows for precise shots and enhanced control. The single-action and double-action capabilities provide flexibility in various shooting scenarios, ensuring that you can quickly draw and engage your target with confidence. This revolver also features a five-round capacity, striking the perfect balance between ammunition capacity and compactness.
In terms of reliability, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 has a proven track record. Its sturdy construction and high-quality craftsmanship contribute to its consistent performance and durability. The ergonomic grip, with its finger grooves and textured surface, allows for a secure and comfortable hold, further enhancing control and accuracy.
It is worth mentioning that, despite its many strengths, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 does have a few drawbacks. Some users may find the recoil to be a bit snappy due to its compact size, especially when shooting .357 Magnum rounds. Additionally, the five-round capacity may be perceived as limiting for those seeking a higher ammunition capacity.
In conclusion, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum is a reliable and compact revolver that excels in both performance and versatility. Its compact size, combined with its powerful caliber, makes it an excellent choice for concealed carry and self-defense purposes. With its proven reliability, precision, and quality craftsmanship, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 stands as a testament to the brand’s commitment to producing top-tier firearms.
Pros and cons of the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum
When it comes to reliability and compactness, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum stands as a true contender in the world of revolvers. As an esteemed gun enthusiast and expert, I have examined this model closely to provide you with a comprehensive evaluation of its pros and cons.
1. Compact and Lightweight: Weighing just 22.6 ounces and featuring a barrel length of 2.125 inches, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 is exceptionally lightweight and easy to carry. Its compact size makes it a great choice for concealed carry or as a backup weapon.
2. Superior Build Quality: Smith & Wesson is renowned for its impeccable craftsmanship, and the Model 60 is no exception. Constructed with durable stainless steel, this revolver feels solid in your hand and guarantees long-lasting performance.
3. Classic Design: The Model 60 pays homage to the iconic design of the original Chief’s Special revolver, appealing to both vintage firearm enthusiasts and those with a penchant for timeless aesthetics.
4. Versatility: Designed to shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammunition, the Model 60 offers versatility in ammunition selection. This feature allows you to adapt to various shooting scenarios, whether for self-defense or recreational shooting.
5. Smooth Trigger: The Model 60 boasts a smooth and crisp trigger pull, enhancing accuracy and control. With its double-action or single-action capabilities, you can choose the shooting style that suits your preference.
1. Limited Capacity: One drawback of the Model 60 is its limited capacity, holding only five rounds in the cylinder. While this may be seen as a disadvantage for some, it does contribute to the compactness of the revolver.
2. Recoil: Due to its smaller size and lightweight frame, the Model 60 experiences a noticeable recoil when firing .357 Magnum rounds. However, this can be mitigated by using .38 Special ammunition, which offers reduced recoil while still maintaining effectiveness.
3. Sight Radius: The short barrel length of the Model 60 results in a relatively small sight radius, potentially affecting accuracy over longer distances. However, for close-range engagements where most defensive encounters occur, this is unlikely to be a significant concern.
In conclusion, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum is an excellent choice for those seeking a reliable and compact revolver. With its exceptional build quality, versatile ammunition options, and classic design, it offers a balance between power and ease of use. While it may have some limitations in terms of capacity and recoil, these drawbacks are overshadowed by its numerous advantages. Whether you are a seasoned shooter or a beginner looking for a concealed carry option, the Model 60 is a reliable companion that deserves serious consideration.
Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum: A closer look
In the world of .357 revolvers, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ Magnum stands out as a compact and reliable option. Known for its innovative design and exceptional performance, this revolver has gained a considerable following among both seasoned shooters and beginners alike. Let’s take a closer look at what makes the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum stand out from the crowd.
One of the standout features of the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum is its lightweight construction. Built with a polymer frame, this revolver weighs in at just under 17 ounces, making it ideal for concealed carry purposes. Despite its lightweight design, Ruger has managed to maintain excellent durability and reliability, ensuring that this revolver will withstand the test of time.
The Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum boasts a unique and ergonomic grip design, providing users with a comfortable and secure hold. The Hogue Tamer Monogrip minimizes recoil, making it easier for shooters to control and accurately place shots. Whether you have larger or smaller hands, the grip’s design caters to a wide range of individuals, ensuring a consistent and comfortable shooting experience.
When it comes to the performance of the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum, it truly shines. This revolver features a five-round capacity cylinder and has a barrel length of 1.875″, striking a perfect balance between compactness and firepower. Chambered in .357 Magnum, this revolver offers excellent stopping power, making it suitable for both self-defense and recreational shooting purposes.
The LCR’s double-action-only (DAO) trigger system is also worth noting. The trigger pull is smooth and consistent, providing shooters with an exceptional level of control. Additionally, Ruger has incorporated a patented friction-reducing cam, resulting in a lighter and more manageable trigger pull. This feature contributes to the Ruger LCR’s accuracy and overall shooting experience.
One aspect that some shooters may find appealing is the front sight on the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum. Equipped with a replaceable pinned ramp, it allows for quick target acquisition and easy customization based on personal preferences. The revolver’s sights are adjustable and provide a clear sight picture, enhancing accuracy and ensuring that shots land where intended.
In terms of drawbacks, some users may find that the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum’s short barrel length limits accuracy at longer distances. While it excels in close-quarter engagements, its performance may slightly diminish at extended ranges. However, this is a trade-off that many shooters are willing to accept given the revolver’s compact design and ease of concealment.
Overall, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum is a reliable and high-quality revolver that deserves serious consideration. Its lightweight construction, comfortable grip, and exceptional performance make it a standout choice in the .357 revolver market. Whether you’re a seasoned shooter looking for a reliable backup firearm or a beginner seeking a dependable self-defense option, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum is definitely worth exploring.
Pros and cons of the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum
When it comes to compact and reliable handguns, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum stands as a top contender. This lightweight revolver offers exceptional versatility and power in a convenient package. In this section, we explore the pros and cons of the Ruger LCR, helping you make an informed decision before adding it to your collection.
1. Portability: The Ruger LCR’s compact design and lightweight construction make it incredibly easy to carry and conceal. Whether you prefer inside-the-waistband or ankle holsters, this revolver can accompany you effortlessly throughout the day.
2. Durability: Crafted from high-quality materials, the Ruger LCR exhibits impressive durability. Its stainless steel frame ensures resistance against corrosion and wear, guaranteeing that it will withstand the test of time.
3. Smooth Trigger: Boasting a smooth and consistent trigger pull, the Ruger LCR provides enhanced accuracy and control during each shot. This feature allows for quick follow-up shots, making it an ideal choice for self-defense scenarios.
4. Recoil Management: Despite its lightweight nature, the Ruger LCR utilizes innovative design elements to mitigate recoil. The revolver’s cushioned grip and excellent ergonomics work together to reduce muzzle flip and aid in faster target reacquisition.
5. Versatile Caliber: The Ruger LCR chambered in .357 Magnum offers exceptional stopping power. Additionally, it also accepts .38 Special rounds, providing shooters with the flexibility to choose ammunition based on their specific needs and preferences.
1. Limited Capacity: As with most compact revolvers, the Ruger LCR’s greatest drawback is its limited capacity. With a typical cylinder capacity of only five rounds, it may require more frequent reloading compared to semi-automatic pistols.
2. Slightly Stiff Trigger: While the trigger of the Ruger LCR receives praise for its smoothness, some users may find it slightly stiffer than expected. However, this is often a matter of personal preference and can be overcome with practice.
3. Short Sight Radius: The Ruger LCR’s compact barrel length results in a shorter sight radius, which may affect long-distance accuracy. However, it’s important to note that this revolver is primarily designed for close-quarters engagement rather than precision shooting at extended ranges.
4. Limited Customization Options: Due to its unique design, the Ruger LCR offers limited customization options compared to other revolvers. This may be a minor concern for those who prefer to personalize their firearms extensively.
In conclusion, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum offers a compelling package of power and portability. Its lightweight construction, smooth trigger pull, and versatility in ammunition make it an excellent choice for concealed carry and self-defense purposes. While it has its limitations in terms of capacity and customization, the Ruger LCR’s durability and reliable performance definitely outweigh any potential cons. Ultimately, it’s crucial to consider your specific needs and shooting preferences when deciding if the Ruger LCR is the right revolver for you.
Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver: A critical review
The Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver is a compact and powerful firearm that has gained quite a reputation among gun enthusiasts. In this section, we will take an in-depth look at this revolver, discussing its features, performance, and overall quality.
One of the standout features of the Taurus M605 is its compact size. It boasts a 2-inch barrel and an overall length of just 6.5 inches, making it an ideal choice for concealed carry or personal defense. The lightweight frame, weighing in at only 24 ounces, enhances its portability and ease of use.
Powerful and versatile, the Taurus M605 chambered in .357 Magnum delivers exceptional performance. The .357 Magnum round is known for its incredible stopping power, and this revolver lives up to that reputation. The six-round capacity ensures you have ample firepower at your disposal, whether for self-defense or target shooting.
The construction of the Taurus M605 is solid, featuring a durable stainless steel frame and cylinder. The finish is resistant to corrosion and wear, adding to the revolver’s longevity. The ergonomic rubber grip provides a comfortable and secure hold, minimizing recoil and enhancing accuracy.
One aspect worth mentioning is the double-action/single-action trigger system. This allows for both rapid firing and more precise shots, depending on your preference and shooting style. The smooth trigger pull contributes to the overall shooting experience and makes the Taurus M605 a pleasure to shoot.
While the Taurus M605 offers several commendable features, it is not without its drawbacks. Some users have reported that the trigger pull can be a bit heavy, affecting accuracy in rapid-fire situations. Additionally, the sights on the revolver may not be as refined as those found on other models, potentially requiring some adjustment for improved target acquisition.
In terms of reliability, the Taurus M605 has been known to perform admirably, with minimal issues reported by users. However, individual experiences may vary, and routine maintenance and proper care are essential to ensure consistent performance over time.
In conclusion, the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver is a compact and powerful firearm suitable for concealed carry and personal defense. Its compact size, powerful chambering, and solid construction make it an attractive option for those seeking a reliable and versatile revolver. While there may be some minor drawbacks, overall, it offers excellent value for its affordable price point. Ultimately, the decision to choose the Taurus M605 will depend on your personal preferences and specific needs as a shooter.
Pros and cons of the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver
The Taurus M605 .357 Magnum revolver is a compact and powerful handgun that has gained popularity among firearm enthusiasts. In this section, we will discuss the pros and cons of this revolver, helping you determine if it is the right choice for your needs.
1. Compact and Lightweight: One of the primary advantages of the Taurus M605 is its compact size and lightweight construction. Weighing in at just under 24 ounces, this revolver is easy to carry and conceal, making it an excellent option for personal defense.
2. Versatile Caliber: Chambered in .357 Magnum, the Taurus M605 offers a versatile caliber choice. It allows you to fire both .357 Magnum and .38 Special rounds, providing flexibility in ammunition selection based on your shooting preferences or requirements.
3. Enhanced Grip: The Taurus M605 features an ergonomic grip design that enhances handling and control. Its rubberized grip provides a comfortable and secure hold, reducing recoil and improving accuracy during rapid-fire or extended shooting sessions.
4. Reliability: Taurus firearms are known for their reliability, and the M605 is no exception. With proper maintenance and care, this revolver has proven to be durable and capable of withstanding rigorous use.
5. Affordability: Compared to some other .357 Magnum revolvers on the market, the Taurus M605 offers excellent value for its price. It provides a budget-friendly option for individuals looking to own a reliable and powerful revolver without breaking the bank.
1. Limited Capacity: As a compact revolver, the Taurus M605 has a limited capacity, typically holding only five rounds. While this may be sufficient for most self-defense scenarios, it does require more frequent reloading during extended shooting sessions.
2. Heavy Trigger Pull: Some users have reported that the trigger pull on the Taurus M605 can be heavy and slightly stiff, requiring more effort to fire accurately. However, with practice and familiarization, many shooters have adapted to this characteristic without significant issues.
3. Limited Barrel Length: The Taurus M605 features a relatively short barrel length, which may slightly impact accuracy and muzzle velocity compared to longer-barreled revolvers. However, it still delivers adequate performance for close-range engagements.
4. Aftermarket Support: Compared to more popular revolver brands, aftermarket support for Taurus firearms may be somewhat limited. This could make it slightly more challenging to find a wide range of customization options or specialized accessories for the M605.
In conclusion, the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver offers several notable advantages, including its compact size, versatility in ammunition, enhanced grip, reliability, and affordability. However, it also has some drawbacks, such as limited capacity, heavy trigger pull, limited barrel length, and potentially limited aftermarket support. Consider your specific requirements and preferences to determine if the Taurus M605 is the right revolver for you.
Comparative analysis of the top .357 revolvers
When it comes to .357 revolvers, there are a variety of options available on the market. In this section, we will conduct a comparative analysis of the top .357 revolvers to help you make an informed decision when purchasing your next firearm.
1. Smith & Wesson Model 686: With a long-standing reputation for reliability and performance, the Smith & Wesson Model 686 stands out as a top contender. It features a stainless steel frame, adjustable sights, and a smooth double-action trigger. The Model 686 offers exceptional accuracy and is known for its versatility, making it a popular choice among both professionals and enthusiasts.
2. Ruger GP100 .357 Mag: Another heavyweight in the world of revolvers, the Ruger GP100 .357 Mag boasts a solid construction and rugged durability. This revolver offers a comfortable grip and superior recoil management, allowing for precise and controlled shooting. The GP100 is highly regarded for its accuracy and has a reputation for being able to handle heavier loads without compromising performance.
3. Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum: For those in search of a compact and concealable revolver, the Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum is an outstanding option. This revolver is constructed with a lightweight scandium alloy frame, making it easy to carry without sacrificing power. The Model 60 offers a smooth trigger pull and excellent accuracy, making it a reliable choice for personal defense or concealed carry.
4. Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum: When it comes to lightweight and compact revolvers, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum is hard to beat. This revolver features a polymer frame, reducing weight and increasing portability. Despite its small size, the LCR delivers impressive performance with minimal recoil. Its innovative design incorporates a unique trigger system, providing a smoother and lighter trigger pull for enhanced accuracy.
5. Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver: Known for its affordability without compromising quality, the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver is a popular choice among budget-conscious shooters. With a solid steel frame and comfortable grip, this revolver offers reliability and ease of use. The M605 features a smooth double-action trigger and delivers consistent accuracy, making it a great option for both novice and experienced shooters.
When comparing these top .357 revolvers, it is essential to consider your specific needs and preferences. Factors such as intended use, ergonomics, weight, and budget should all be considered before making a decision. Ultimately, the perfect revolver for you is one that fits comfortably in your hand and meets your requirements in terms of reliability, accuracy, and overall performance.
In conclusion, the Smith & Wesson Model 686, Ruger GP100 .357 Mag, Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum, and Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver are all exceptional choices in the .357 revolver category. Each offers its own unique features and advantages, providing a wide range of options for shooters of all skill levels. Remember to carefully evaluate your needs and preferences, and test out different models if possible, to ensure the best fit for your shooting style.
Key features to consider in a .357 revolver
When it comes to selecting the perfect .357 revolver, there are several key features to take into consideration. These features will not only enhance your shooting experience but also ensure that you make an informed decision before making a purchase. Let’s delve into the essential factors that you should keep in mind.
1. Barrel Length:
The barrel length of a .357 revolver plays a significant role in determining both accuracy and recoil. Longer barrels generally provide increased accuracy due to their extended sight radius, allowing for better target acquisition. On the other hand, shorter barrels offer improved maneuverability, making them well-suited for self-defense purposes. Consider your primary use for the revolver and choose a barrel length accordingly.
2. Action Type:
The action type refers to how the revolver is operated. There are primarily two types to choose from: single-action and double-action. Single-action revolvers require manually cocking the hammer before each shot, providing a lighter trigger pull. Conversely, double-action revolvers allow for firing by simply pulling the trigger. Decide which action type aligns best with your shooting style and preferences.
Knowing the capacity of the revolver is crucial, as it determines the number of rounds you can load. While .357 revolvers typically have a six-round capacity, some models offer a higher capacity, providing more ammunition for extended shooting sessions. Consider your intended use, whether it be competitive shooting or self-defense, and choose a capacity that suits your needs.
The grips of a .357 revolver are an often-overlooked but crucial aspect to consider. They significantly impact how the revolver feels and handles in your hands. Grips are available in various materials, including wood, rubber, and synthetic, each offering different levels of comfort and recoil absorption. It’s essential to choose grips that provide a secure and comfortable hold, allowing for better control and recoil management.
The sights on a .357 revolver are vital for aiming and target acquisition. While some models come with standard factory sights, others offer adjustable sights for enhanced accuracy. Additionally, night sights or fiber-optic sights can enhance visibility in low-light conditions. Opt for a revolver with sights that suit your shooting needs and provide a clear sight picture.
6. Weight and Size:
The weight and size of a .357 revolver can significantly influence its ease of carry and handling. A heavier revolver may reduce felt recoil, while a lighter one may be more comfortable to carry for extended periods. Consider your intended use, whether it be concealed carry or home defense, and choose a weight and size that align with your requirements.
By carefully considering these key features, you will be well-equipped to choose the best .357 revolver that meets your shooting needs and preferences. Remember to prioritize factors such as barrel length, action type, capacity, grips, sights, and weight and size. With these factors in mind, you can confidently select a .357 revolver that will provide you with reliable performance and an enjoyable shooting experience.
In conclusion, the .357 Magnum revolvers continue to hold their place as some of the most reliable and powerful handguns on the market. Over the years, these iconic firearms have established themselves as favorites among shooting enthusiasts, law enforcement officers, and concealed carry holders alike.
Throughout this comprehensive review, we have explored the top .357 revolvers available in the year 2023. Each of the featured models offers its own unique blend of performance, craftsmanship, and versatility.
The Smith & Wesson Model 686 stands out as a prime example of excellence, providing exceptional accuracy, rugged durability, and a smooth shooting experience. With its classic design and top-notch manufacturing, this revolver truly embodies the pinnacle of .357 Magnum perfection.
The Ruger GP100 .357 Mag also deserves high praise for its robust construction and exceptional reliability. This powerhouse of a revolver combines modern features with a classic design, making it an ideal choice for both the range and self-defense scenarios.
The Smith & Wesson Model 60 .357 Magnum showcases the perfect balance between compactness and firepower. Its lightweight frame, coupled with tremendous stopping power, makes it an excellent option for those seeking a concealed carry revolver.
For those who prioritize ease of carry and versatility, the Ruger LCR 1.875″ .357 Magnum offers a lightweight and compact design without sacrificing performance. Its innovative technology and comfortable grip make it a reliable companion in any situation.
Lastly, the Taurus M605 .357 Magnum Revolver presents a cost-effective option without compromising on quality. This revolver delivers solid performance and reliability while being gentle on the budget.
When selecting the best .357 Magnum revolver for your needs, it’s crucial to consider certain key features such as overall build quality, performance, ergonomics, and reliability. Each shooter has different preferences and requirements, so it’s essential to find the one that matches your shooting style and intended use.
We hope this in-depth review and analysis have provided you with valuable insights to make an informed decision. Remember that personal preferences and individual shooting styles may vary, so it’s recommended to try out different models before making a final purchase.
In conclusion, investing in a quality .357 Magnum revolver is a wise choice, as these firearms have proven themselves in terms of power, accuracy, and reliability throughout their rich history. Whether you’re a seasoned shooter or a beginner looking for a trustworthy sidearm, choosing any of the top-notch revolvers mentioned in this article will leave you with a trusted companion for years to come.
Choose wisely, practice responsibly, and enjoy the timeless pleasure of shooting with the best .357 revolvers available in 2023. May your aim always be true and your shooting experiences forever rewarding. Stay safe and happy shooting!